Tuesday, January 20, 2015

I like to make decisions on a whim

Y'all probably know I went to New Zealand last year, an experience that was so awesome, you'd have to sing EVERYTHING IS AWESOME and it still wouldn't cover everything (and that song is AWESOME). Well, since New Zealand, I kinda got the travel bug. Symptoms include:
  • Browsing wanderlust photos on tumblr. 
  • Reading travel blogs. 
  • Discussing impossible jobs abroad with friends. 
  • Watching "Floortje to the end of the world" ("Floortje naar het einde van de wereld") or a similar travel program. Or all travel programs you can get your hands on. 
  • Reading up on ways to spend less to save up for traveling. 
  • Itching to get on the road again. 
  • Wanting to chase that feeling of freedom you had when you last traveled and moved a lot. 
If you recognise yourself in all of these points, you might have the travel bug too. There is no antidote. 

Now I started my January feeling very much nostalgic to my time in New Zealand: moving a lot, seeing new things and meeting a shitload of people. And I was really wondering why I just don't hit the road again. And just travel the world. Forever. 

Here's why I won't: money. I have little of it, and you do need at least a bit of it to go traveling. I'm trying to save up for it, but it's hard if you have bills, rent and food to buy haha. And I also adore my family and find it hard to part with them, even if it was for only 1,5 month. But I still desire to travel. 

You know how (so far) my travel plans have started? By joking about it. "You know I could find a job... or I could go to New Zealand." That's how that plan came to be. And I've started to joke around that I could visit my dear friend Dewi in Indonesia when she's there doing an internship. And so I am here to tell you: I AM GOING TO INDONESIA! Why? Because I like to make decisions on a whim. 


1 comment:

My photo
A woman singing Japanese curse words whilst traveling and drawing minimalistic animals. Hajimemashite!

Archive